The incumbent will be responsible for all activities related to SQL server Configuration, Maintenance, Backup/Restore, Optimization and Performance. Additionally, this role will work in partnership with the Director of data base administration and the application engineers to enforce Security and ensure the Disaster Recovery process is operational.
Job Scope and Major Responsibilities:
- Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business’s Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Test backups to ensure we can meet the business’ Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
- Analyze large, complex systems to determine performance bottlenecks, application bugs, and opportunities to improve efficiency
- Optimize SQL Server to accommodate large data volumes and high throughput processing
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Maintain necessary level of SQL server security
- Configure SQL Server monitoring utilities to minimize false alarms
- As new systems are brought in-house, choose whether to use clustering, log shipping, mirroring, Windows Azure, or other technologies
- Install and configure new SQL Servers
- When performance issues arise, determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes
- Participate in all aspects of the application lifecycle: requirements analysis & definition, system design, implementation, testing, deployment, and sustainment
- Document the company’s database environment
Performance in this role is measured by Database optimization with a focus on transaction response time, scalability of applications and the ability to bring on line data base changes seamlessly and on time to support business growth.
- Tuning T-SQL queries to improve performance and stability
- Identify areas of instability and deviations from best practices with database components
- Participate in performance, load, and stress testing, and remediation of issues identified
- On-call troubleshooting experience with at least one production SQL Server for a year. You don’t have to be the only DBA or have DBA in your job description, but you should have been the one person that the company would call if the SQL Server service stopped working.
- Proficiency in database tuning and query optimization
- Proficiency with SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL Profiler, and SQL Server Management Studio
- Using tools like RedGate’s SQL Monitor to diagnose server reliability and performance issues
Asembia is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to comply with all Federal, State and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, genetic disposition, disability, veteran's status or any other classification protected by State/Federal laws.
Apply Back to Careers